Monday, March 24, 2008

What's Not Happening

"So what's been happening with the house project," people ask. In short, NOTHING! Only a couple of days before the building permits were supposed to be ready, the City of Fullerton's Planning Department raised an issue that should have been raised during the first plan check last November.
It seems that the house design was over the size limit imposed by the small size of the property by 124 square feet. We were told that we could handle this with a Minor Site Plan adjustment, so we turned in our application for such and settled in for a one-month wait until the Planning Department staff meeting on March 20. When we showed up for the meeting, the staff seemed unaware of status of our project and consequently we were not on the agenda. We later learned that they had decided that a full zoning variance would be required and that the city's Planning Commission would next meet on April 23!

So here we sit.

2 comments:

Martin Burwash said...

I got to play Judas this year as well....

....leser minds must think alike, Dave.

Martin Burwash

Squinch said...

Ahh, so you've delt with the City's Planning Department? In my humble opinion, the worst in all of O.C. And I know, I'm a General Contractor.

Trust me, I've dealt with building & planning departments from San Diego to Simi Valley and these guys take the cake.

One employee I want to pick on for utter incompetance and just plain rudeness or nuttiness is their counter guy, Mr. Chi Yang.

I once worked up a custom home near Los Coyotes. I took the plans in for plan check and Chi says to go back to my Architect for Clarification on some minor details which I did. I came back the next day and Chi looks at me and says "I never told you to this". I couldn't believe it. I tell him that he told me yesterday and he starts yelling at me!!! Some lady named Judy then tells me to calm down (I'm calmed quiet in stunned disbelief) or they'll call the Police next door.

I dumped the project and refunded the owner her money.

Now, whenever I see a jobsite in Fullerton, I just say Pass.