Monday, March 31, 2008

Reenacting the Last Supper

When the associate pastor of my church asked if I'd be willing to participate in the Maundy Thursday service, I said "sure!" (why not?). Well had I known that it meant memorizing a full page monologue and playing the part of Judas Iscariot in a reenactment of Leonardo da Vinci's mural painting of the Last Supper, I might have given the matter a little more thought.
I gotta say, playing that role was creepy! Even though theologians agree with the text of my monologue to suggest that Judas did not intend that his act result in the events which soon unfolded, he remains our culture's ultimate villain. As for the problem with the memorization, since my pose had me leaning my elbow on the table (bad manners!) I managed to tape my script down flat and sneak a peak at it a couple of times during the performance.

We Judases are nothing if not sneaky!

1 comment:

kate davis said...

It's nice to see people taking part in a service I grew up appreciating more than any other holiday. My dad really cherished Maundy Thursday and always attended the service and read scripture. Thanks for posting something about it - I miss him.